Avoid Reduce Reuse Recycle
Are you looking to reduce the amount of waste your household generates? The Western Metropolitan Regional Council’s Community and Education Program hosts a range of workshops and events including the WMRC Waste Watchers program to give you the skills to live waste-free.
The WMRC Waste Watchers program replaces the long-running Earth Carers Program providing local residents with fun and engaging ways to get involved, upskill and create less waste. Please visit our WMRC Waste Watchers page for more information and upcoming workshops.
Why the change?
More than 22,000 households located in the Member Council areas of Subiaco, Claremont, Mosman Park, Peppermint Grove and Cottesloe were invited to participate in a Waste Survey, developed in partnership with Painted Dog Research. The survey, administered via a letter drop to residents, was also sent to past participants of WMRC courses. The Waste Survey project was funded by the State Government through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account, and administered by the Waste Authority.
Over 1400 householders completed the survey, providing valuable information with which to tailor future community and education programs.
What were the results?
It is clear that waste management is a prominent issue within our community, and that most people are actively trying to do the right thing on a regular basis.
Of surveyed residents:
- 97% say responsible waste is important to them.
- 91% are wanting to reduce the amount of waste their household creates.
- 87% want to learn more about responsible waste management.
- 90% say they are actively placing the correct items in the recycling bin.
- 78% always / often try to reduce the amount of waste they throw away.
However, most people say that minimising waste isn’t easy.
Of surveyed residents:
- 9 in 10 householders who have not completed a WMRC workshop agree it is important to minimise the amount of waste generated, but only half find it an easy task.
- Most want to learn more, but just don’t have the time to attend the workshop sessions.
In response to these findings and in a commitment to meet the needs of our Member Council residents, the WMRC is developing a new and improved community program. Waste Watchers Workshops will be part of a multi-pronged approach to help residents in the western suburbs manage their waste wisely.
Want to know more?
Contact the WMRC Community & Education Team on (08) 9384 4003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org