Problematic waste has the potential to cause significant damage to the environment if placed in landfill. Please recycle it or dispose of it correctly to minimise its environmental impact.
Problematic waste includes:
- Asbestos – fees apply
- E-waste – FREE service. See list of acceptable items below.
- Refrigerated appliances (fridges freezers, air conditioning units) fees apply
- Mattresses – fees apply
- Polystyrene – FREE service.
- Tyres – fees apply
Given its capacity to cause significant harm to human and environmental health, asbestos needs be handled with extreme care.
Asbestos Disposal Information
Asbestos needs to be handled with extreme care, given its capacity to cause significant harm to human and environmental health. More information on the properties of asbestos can be found here. In order for asbestos to be safely disposed of a small fee applies.
Asbestos must be presented to the West Metro Recycling Centre in the following form:
- It must be cement bonded asbestos only. Fibrous loose asbestos will not be accepted.
- Asbestos sheets must be wetted down before being wrapped.
- Asbestos must be securely double wrapped in polyethylene (black plastic, 200 μm thick) with no asbestos exposed or able to escape. Asbestos will not be accepted if wrapped in bin liners.
- Only 1 sheet of asbestos in each bundle.
- Completely seal the packages with adhesive tape.
- Maximum three sheets of asbestos per customer per visit.
- Make sure that all of the waste is packaged, including any contaminated materials such as tools.
- Place asbestos warning stickers on the packages, or clearly label the packages as ‘ASBESTOS WASTE’ using a permanent marker pen.
- Package asbestos so that it can be lifted – customers will be required to unload the asbestos by hand onto a pallet or into a skip bin under the supervision of WMRC staff and should take care not to damage the wrapping.
Please note: For your safety, and the safety of those around you, you will not be able to dispose of asbestos at the WMRC until it is prepared in the way outlined above. For further information on safe disposal, visit the Asbestos Safety & Regulation Agency. Failure to comply with these requirements for presenting asbestos will be recorded and may be reported to the relevant authorities. Improperly disposing of asbestos is an offence under the Controlled Waste Regulations and breaches may attract a fine.
The WMRC accepts the following items of E-waste from the general public (domestic quantities only). This service is free of charge:
- CD drives and floppy drives
- Circuit boards and other circuitry
- Computers, mouse, keyboards, hard drives and servers
- Electronic cables and wiring
- Fax machines
- Ipods, Ipads, tablets
- Mobile Phones
- UPS systems.
This covers fridges, freezers and air conditioning units. Fees apply to cover the cost of degassing these units. Degassing is a requirement under Commonwealth Law (The Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 2003)
Mattresses cannot be effectively buried in landfill, but most of their components can be recycled, making them a valuable commodity. You can recycle your household mattresses at the WMRC for a small fee.
Polystyrene creates large amounts of non-biodegradable waste with limited recycling options. The WMRC accepts clean, white expanded polystyrene (EPS) without any adhesives, labels and paint. Bean bag fillers and other packing foams cannot be accepted. Click here for details. Polystyrene can be recycled into new products, reducing the need to produce new plastic. This service is provided free of charge and is for domestic quantities only.