Given its capacity to cause significant harm to human and environmental health, asbestos needs be handled with extreme care.
Asbestos Disposal Information
Asbestos needs to be handled with extreme care, given its capacity to cause significant harm to human and environmental health. More information on the properties of asbestos can be found here. In order for asbestos to be safely disposed of a small fee applies.
Asbestos must be presented to the West Metro Recycling Centre in the following form:
- It must be cement bonded asbestos only. Fibrous loose asbestos is dangerous and must only be handled by a licensed asbestos contractor.
- Asbestos sheets must be wetted down before being wrapped.
- The asbestos containing material must be wrapped in heavy duty (200 microns) builder’s plastic (polyethylene) and sealed with strong duct tape. Asbestos will not be accepted if wrapped in bin liners.
- WMRC strongly recommends asbestos is double wrapped prior to transport with no asbestos exposed or able to escape.
- Only 1 sheet of asbestos in each package. Smaller pieces of asbestos cement should also be double bagged in heavy duty (200 microns) builder’s plastic.
- Make sure that all of the waste is packaged, including any contaminated materials such as tools.
- Place asbestos warning stickers on the packages, or clearly label the packages as ‘ASBESTOS WASTE’ using a permanent marker pen.
- Package asbestos so that it can be lifted – customers will be required to unload the asbestos by hand onto a pallet or into a skip bin under the supervision of WMRC staff and should take care not to damage the wrapping.
Please note: For your safety, and the safety of those around you, you will not be able to dispose of asbestos at the WMRC until it is prepared in the way outlined above. For further information on safe disposal, visit the Asbestos Safety & Regulation Agency. Failure to comply with these requirements for presenting asbestos will be recorded and may be reported to the relevant authorities. Improperly disposing of asbestos is an offence under the Controlled Waste Regulations and breaches may attract a fine.